Monday, January 14, 2008

Introduction

~Introduction~

Welcome to my first blog page! My name is Kristen Hughes, and I am from the purple mountains majesties: Monument, Colorado. How did I choose Texas Christian University? Simply, when I came to visit my sister, Kelsey (who is now a senior at TCU), I fell in love with the friendly environment, beautiful campus, and all the opportunities that TCU had to offer. I am a Freshman Nursing major, and I am really enjoying my new life at TCU. Nursing is certainly a challenging major, and attempting to juggle new living arrangements, study habits, eating rĂ©gime, exercising, and balancing social life has demanded much concentration and practice. The college experience is so important to me because I am becoming independent; I am discovering who I am; and I am being exposed to various cultures and people. Writing is not particularly my strongest asset, but it is something that I will work on this semester and try to improve. Just as learning to ride a bike or learning to walk, I believe writing can be a bit awkward at first and one may fall down a couple times, but with practice and determination, writing becomes more and more natural until one does not even realize one’s strength and talent radiating from everyday life. Yes, although I am a nursing major and may not write essays for my career, I realize that writing is a huge part of life and is used everyday throughout the world. I was delighted to sit in lecture today and be informed that after writing a paper, students may receive corrections and fix the mistakes and turn in the paper for a stronger grade. I believe that this is how a writer grows and develops. Throughout high school, my English teachers were stubborn in writing policies-having the due date be the only date for the paper to be due. The teacher would grade the paper, hand it back to me, and I would put it in a portfolio with all the previous papers I had written and have no consideration of my teacher’s remarks. After all, I had no intention to correct a paper that was no longer “important” after the due date. Therefore, I would not improve from my teacher’s suggestions. It wasn’t until my junior year I had the most challenging teacher, who insisted her students would turn papers in again and again until they were to her liking. I remember working on one paper for months after it was due, making corrections and revising. My writing skills developed the most in this year because I learned from my mistakes and could learn and improve on my weaknesses. I am excited for this class, and I am hoping to improve greatly in my writing skill- an ability that is so incredibly important in this lifestyle.

I, Kristen H., have read, understood, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

It's good to hear you have had pleasant experiences with revising essays. I think it's the best way to improve writing skills. And, thanks for your willingness to make an effort in working on writing skills. I'm really looking forward to having you in class this semester! See you tomorrow!