Friday, February 1, 2008

Reflection of Peer Workshop 1 for Personal Essay

Review the comments provided from your peers on your drafts. Write a blog in which you describe what revisions you intend to make based on the suggestions of your peers.

This past week of working on my essay was difficult. I would have doubts if I were writing about an interesting topic that others could relate to. I have a passion for water-skiing. It is an incredible hobby of mine that I treasure, but I think that when I am telling the story, I get so excited that I forget that the reader may never have even tried water-skiing before. I tried my best to clarify and to put the reader in my “bindings” so that they knew what it felt like. Lauren said, “I love how you describe water-skiing- I feel the same way about it and you captured it exactly.” That made me more confident that I had clearly expressed my experiences and that others could relate to my story- an integral part of a personal essay. I also took risks in writing in a way that I have never tried before. I am writing from several different perspectives: what I feel at the time I am skiing, what my grandfather would feel, and flashbacks from my childhood event. I felt the time we spent today was useful because Lauren and George made great comments on what they understood, and also made suggestions on what they thought would improve the essay. I am going to elaborate on my conclusion, and I plan to clarify on “what my grandmother and mother saw” in one of my flashbacks. Lauren advised to elaborate a bit more on my grandfather and what he means to me.

No comments: