Monday, March 3, 2008

Choosing an Ethnographic Essay Topic

Ethnographic Topic
For my ethnographic essay, I have chosen to write and discover more about the healthcare system, more specifically the Nursing Subculture. I believe that this topic will be valuable to me in discovering more about my future career. It falls into the categories of the following requirements:
it is accessible to you
Yes, my sister is a nurse and she will have the opportunities to introduce me to other nurses and the nursing environment so that I can observe and learn about the nursing subculture.
its members gather at places you can visit
Yes, the hospital is a place where I can follow a nurse and observe behaviors. I have been offered an opportunity to “shadow” a nurse.
it interests you in some way
Of course! The nursing subculture is especially interesting to me because this subculture is my future career and lifestyle!
it is something you can research online or at the library if you get stuck
Yes, there is a plethora of information about the nursing subculture. I may want to narrow my search of a specific age, gender, or field of nursing.
you are not a member of the subculture
No, I am not a member of this subculture (but I am bound to be)!
Group Identity: Does the group you want to study feel, at least implicitly, a sense of identification with each other as members? (This doesn't necessarily mean that they all like each other or always get along.)
Yes, all nurses identify themselves (although at different levels or fields) as a nursing subculture. They practice similar activities and are linked by common characteristics.
Rituals: Do group members share certain behaviors, outlooks, beliefs, or motivations for belonging?
Yes, the nursing population generally have a passion for caring for others and healing and improving the general health of all people. They (depending on the field) all have the same rituals and schedules.
Language: Do they share a common language? Do they tend to describe things in similar ways, or use words or phrases that have special significance to the group?
Yes, have you ever been in a hospital when the doctors, nurses, and healthcare providers talk in what seems like a foreign language? The only thing you can do is trust that they are knowledgeable and that your life is in optimal care. The healthcare providers have their own jargon, and I am interested if nurses alone have a common language.
Artifacts: Do they share an interest in certain objects or artifacts? Do they invest these things with similar significance?

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

As we discussed, this sounds like an interesting subculture to study, which is accessible to you and also interesting because it's your intended career. This should be an useful study for you!