Thursday, April 3, 2008

Topic for Essay 4

Blog
4/4/08
Topic- Females in the United States emphasize a stronger “ethic of care” in making moral decisions in comparison to those moral decisions of U.S. males.
Interest: I am interested in this subject because I stumbled upon the topic in reading. I do not already hold strong convictions, but I am interested in learning and developing more open-ended questions and inquiring about the topic. I have always been intrigued about gender roles and differences in cultural values for genders, so I have an interest- but not my mind is not completely made up about the conclusion.
Brevity: This topic is focusing more on how women and men differ in their ethics of care and emotional attributes in making moral decisions. It focuses more on the decisions the individual makes based on his or her emotional and cultural attributes that affect their ethic of care and therefore how they make moral decisions.
Disagreement: The topic generates and leads to an argumentative standpoint. It generates questions and different viewpoints; it is not just a fact that all people agree upon. The reader can agree with the statement, disagree, or even accept points from both arguments.
Information: There are a plethora of theories concerning moral development of humans through the development of the lifespan. Such theories of Kohlberg and Gilligan can be further explored through research, but I may also incorporate my own experiences. I can even perhaps use primary research through studies that ask opinions of others to support my claim.
Question: The topic will not lead me to answer the question, but it will generate other ideas on what the reader believes, which is not just black and white. There are a variety of other factors that account for moral decisions, such as family, social structures, and cultural environments that can shape what one believes.
This topic interests me, and I am excited to explore this issue!

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

This is a really interesting topic to consider, especially with your interest in a career in nursing. You will likely want to focus your examples on local experiences to keep the discussion more narrow because the topic could grow to be a huge one. I don't know if you've read Virginia Held's Ethic of Care, but the introduction sets up an interesting discussion of this topic. TCU has it as an eBook at the library if you're interested.